The major reason for consulting children emergency polyclinics is fever.
Fever can be defined according to the measured area;
- Rectal : 38 and more,
- Oral : 37.5 and more
- Armpit : 37.2 and more
- Ear : 37.7 and more is accepted as fever.
- If the rectal fever is 39 and more
- If the fever does not go down within 1 hour despite of antipyretics
- If there is fever for over 24 hours without any signs of flu.
- If body temperature suddenly increases after nasal flow lasting a few days.
- If the body temperature is below 39, but the child is weak and looks sick.
- If there is a story or risk of convulsion with fever.
- If the body temperature has increased due to heat stroke
- If there are changes in the behaviours of the child; oversleeping, not being able to sleep, anger, overcrying, continuously rejecting food.
- Convulsion (loss of consciousness, spasm in the body)
- If there are headache, neck stiffness, absence of mind
- Skin changes; yellowing, paleness, erythema, cyanosis, spots that are recently recognised.
- Wheeze, groan, difficulty in breathing, whistle while breathing
- Fever with throat pain, difficulty in swallowing, white spots on the throat, swelling in the glands at the neck, hoarseness, rash in the body
- Severe head ache, chest pain and abdominal pain
- Burning feeling while urinating, frequently urinating
- Blood in urine and faeces
- Recurring vomiting
- Very fluidy and frequent stool
- Signs of dehydration in the body (dry mouth, trough in eyes, decrease in urine quantity, dryness of the skin)
- In case of children with chronical disease (heart, lung, kidney, blood diseases etc.), even if there are less severe signs, a pediatrist should be consulted immediately.
What you can do at home?
- Diet; increasing liquid intake, taking care of eatin high quality food, eating less more frequently, giving the foods that the child likes.
- Medication; has to be under physician supervision, the way of administration, dosage, timing and duration of administration should be known well, the child should be observed for side effects and attention must be paid to the expiry date of the medications.